Boston College to honor dissident Sen. Bob Casey

U.S. Sen. Bob Casey of Pennsylvania will be the keynote speaker for Boston College’s 141st commencement exercises next month. University President Father William Leahy, SJ, will present Casey an honorary doctor of laws degree.
Sen. Casey —whom the Diocese of Allentown said was “increasingly in disagreement with the Church on issues involving Church teaching” as the diocese protested his 2013 lecture at Alvernia College—was an early public supporter of same-sex marriage. Although he has repeatedly proclaimed himself to be pro-life, he has voted against the “Mexico City Policy,” thereby permitting the U.S. government to pay for abortions overseas, and has voted against defunding Planned Parenthood.
Just last month, Casey visited a Planned Parenthood and spoke about the need to continue funding for the abortion giant.
And despite public opposition by the U.S. bishops to the Affordable Care Act due to concerns about abortion funding, Sen. Casey voted in favor of the bill.  Prior to the vote, Casey said in an interview about abortion funding and the bill, “I’ve never drawn a line in the sand on any issue.”
Clearly, neither does Boston College.

Student newspaper urges Saint Louis U. to provide contraception

The student government at Saint Louis University in St. Louis, Mo., passed a resolution recommending that the student health center administer birth control, and the editorial board of the student newspaper concurred.
Their priceless reasoning is that the Jesuit university seems to be so selective about which Catholic doctrines it supports, that the students question why the ban on contraception is enforced.

Good question. Unfortunately they come up with the wrong answer.

The editors write, “The United States is becoming increasingly secular, and the University should adapt to this changing reality.”
They continue: “In addition, it is unfair for [the university] to enforce some Catholic doctrines but not others. There are many other rules that the Catholic Church has for the followers of the Catholic faith, but SLU students do not have to follow these rules during their time at the institution. For example, SLU still serves meat on Fridays during Lent despite rules against consumption of meat on these days.”

Holy Cross students want letters added to LGBTQ

Please continue reading at The Cardinal Newman Society>>>

*subhead*Education.*subhead*